Pages

Friday, February 5, 2016

Hold Me Together

What I know:

God lives.
Family is forever.
Christ suffered and died for me.
I am never alone.

I'm not sure why, but I feel so strongly that I need to share my testimony today. 

I was creating a playlist full of contemporary Christian songs the other day, and for some reason, I thought of a song I haven't listened to in years. The first time I heard it, the song was an answer to my prayers. Among many other things, it was one of the key instruments the Lord used in pulling me out of a deep hole of depression I'd managed to sink into.

Agony in the Garden by Frans Schwartz
Today, I've been listening to this song on repeat. Before you become too concerned, I'm not fighting depression. It just happens to be the only song I want to listen to at the moment. The message it shares is powerful for every time of life. Currently, the only challenges I happen to be facing are pretty typical of a 22 year old college student. I had to say goodbye to a dear friend and roommate last week as she moved back home, I'm always stressed about school, figuring out how to manage money, balance social life and homework, and anyone who knows me knows I'm constantly concerned about dating. Bleh. Like I said, typical college worries.

But that's what I love about this song.

It reminds me that no matter how small my challenges are compared to the rest of the world, Christ understands completely. Sometimes I get a little discouraged and wonder, with all of the problems on earth, how could God possibly care about the mere trifles in my life. But then He does things like this: little things to remind me of His love. A song. A friend. A smile. Tender mercies. Sometimes it's even smaller. A simple feeling of peace, like getting a hug from heaven. The inexplicable feelings of peace come from the Savior keeping His promise:
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. -John 14:27
I am eternally grateful for the knowledge I have of the Savior. I know that because of him, no matter what trials I face in life, big or small, I am never alone. He didn't just die for my sins. He suffered for me, felt every pain, heartache, sorrow, and sickness I will ever endure so that He could know exactly what I need. And He didn't just do it for me. He suffered this way for you. For us. For our friends and family. For people we'll never meet, for people we've never liked, and people that never liked Him. He loves so deeply, so completely, I will never be able to comprehend it. And I am forever thankful.
And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities. -Alma 7:11-12
Who ever you are, what ever you're doing or going through, just please know, you are not alone. There is someone who knows exactly what you're facing, and if you let him, He will hold you together through it all. I know, because He has never once let me down. His name? Jesus Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment