Pages

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Peter Pan, Pink Hair, & Pep Talks

What's your childhood dream?

When I was a little girl I wanted to be a singer. A marine biologist. A mom. A writer. An artist. As I got a little bit older, my dreams got a little bit bigger. I wanted to be super rich so I could give to charities. I wanted to travel the world and volunteer in third world countries. Become a foster family. Adopt enough kids to give the mom in Cheaper by the Dozen a run for her money.

I had silly dreams too. I wanted to swim with dolphins. Touch a wale. See lava. Dye my hair pink.

What did you dream of becoming?
What did you hope to someday do?

What are you doing today?

If you're anything like most people, I'm guessing the majority of your childhood dreams have been packed away with the stuffed animals, are about as dusty as the family photos, and as outgrown as the clothes you wore on the day you dreamed them.

Real life has a way of robbing us of our dreams. We forsake the ideas of our youth for the practicality of adulthood. The sad and ironic truth about this is, kids have the dreams and adults have the means. But by the time we reach adulthood, we've had reality pounded so deep into our heads that dreams grow dim. Everything we do centers on having not only a successful career, but a more successful career than the other guy. We don't just want clothes, we want the nicest clothes. We don't just want a house, we want the best house.

Of course, providing for ourselves and being mindful of reality aren’t a bad thing. In fact, they are a necessary part of life. No one likes a free rider. And the last thing we need are more clueless, immature people who refuse to accept responsibility. Unfortunately, running away to Neverland isn't an option anymore. So, what do we do? How can we find a balance between the responsibility and practicality of adulthood, and the joy of following our dreams?

It’s not easy.

But I think the first thing is to remember. Not only to remember your dreams, but remember that you dreamed them in the first place. We have so much to offer this world. You have the capability to dream. I think as adults, we tend to forget that, or forget to make time for it.

The next thing, is to pick a dream, think of something you’ve always wanted to do, and do it. Stop making excuses. Pick a dream, big or small, and make it a reality.

All too often, we underestimate ourselves. We think, “Oh, I wish I could play the piano,” but never sit down at the keys. We dream of changing the world but reason the hours away. “I’ll do it tomorrow, when I’m rich, when I have time…” but tomorrow is always just over the horizon. Rich remains a few hundred, a few thousand dollars more than what we have. And there’s never enough time in a day, a week, a year. Before we know it, there will be no more tomorrows, no more money, no more time.

I’ve heard more excuses than I can list for why people don’t follow their dreams. But the people who really make a difference in this world are the ones who don’t just dream. They do. The people who make a difference don’t make excuses. As Shia LeBeouf would say, "Don't let your dreams be dreams!" (YouTube it).

Remember, living a dream doesn’t have to be some big elaborate thing.

As a kid, I wanted to be a singer. I’m certainly not on a stage, making a living off of my voice, but I sing everywhere I go.

I wanted to be a writer. I have exactly zero published pieces, but I keep a blog and a journal, and write stories for fun whenever I get the chance.

I wanted to be a mom. Although I don’t have children of my own, I am an aunt and a nanny.


Just the other day, I decided it was time to live one more of my dreams. My sister and I went to the store, picked out some pink hair dye, and that night, she helped me put pink highlights in my hair. Some people might think I’m crazy. After all, I’m a 24-year-old woman, and not exactly a punk rock star. But I love it. It reminds me that it’s never too late to chase a dream.

So, what are you going to do? What dream can you pick up and dust off? Perhaps it needs a little modification for the sake of practicality. Maybe it will take some time, some money, or even a bit of courage. So here’s my advice: make time, save money, and take a chance.

If you were waiting for your sign, this is it.
Go get your dreams.

Tomorrow is here.



No comments:

Post a Comment